Coinbase Custody News/Updates

The CC Forums

Admin
Staff member
We covered some of Coinbase’s plans in our Pro introduction. Coinbase Custody is probably second in importance only to the new Pro trading platform. The two services are complementary and intended to make crypto buying and trading more accessible to institutions and mainstream professional investors.

Coinbase Pro Trading Interface - The Cryptocurrency Forums

Custody went live a few days ago, as announced in their blog:

Coinbase Custody is Officially Open For Business – The Coinbase Blog

With crypto markets currently in a prolonged period of price drops, investors are hoping Coinbase Custody hits the mark for bigger money buyers. What do you think about the chance of Custody’s success?

Coinbase Custody is Officially Open For Business

1*7b7O0GSuotiDrbu_D3jpFQ.png

Last week, Coinbase Custody accepted its first deposit. Today, we’re proud to announce that we’re officially open for business. Over the coming weeks, we’ll continue on-boarding a set of world-class clients that includes leading crypto hedge funds, exchanges and ICO teams.

Coinbase Custody’s mission is to make digital currency investment accessible to every eligible financial institution and hedge fund in the world. We’ll achieve this by striving to become the most trusted and easiest-to-use crypto custody service available. Coinbase Custody is a combination of Coinbase’s battle-tested cold storage for crypto assets, an institutional-grade broker-dealer and its reporting services, and a comprehensive client coverage program.

Crypto asset security
Over the past six years, Coinbase has pioneered leading crypto storage techniques and is currently responsible for the custody of more than $20 billion in crypto assets. Coinbase Custody builds on this expertise to offer a brand new, independent solution for our institutional customers. This new cold storage system has undergone rigorous penetration testing and cryptographic design review, and we plan further, regular third-party examinations to ensure the platform’s ongoing security.

Coinbase Custody’s unique features include:

• On-chain segregation of crypto assets
  • Split, offline private keys that require a quorum of geographically distributed agents to use cryptographic hardware to sign transactions
  • Multiple layers of security
  • Robust cold storage auditing and reporting
A custody offering through a regulated, institutional broker-dealer
Coinbase Custody leverages the expertise and systems of our partner Electronic Transaction Clearing (ETC). ETC is a SEC-registered broker-dealer and FINRA member subject to regulated financial reporting and independent audits.

What’s coming next
Coinbase Custody provides secure storage of crypto assets for institutions in both the US and Europe. Before the end of the year, we hope to bring this offering to Asia as well.

Additionally, over the coming months, pending regulatory notifications, we’ll be focused on building the features and services that our institutional clients want.

1. Support for more crypto assets
    Coinbase Custody currently supports BTC, ETH, LTC and BCH. We plan to continue adding support for new assets and will offer regular updates.
  2. Flexible access to funds
    On top of Coinbase Custody’s cold storage, we will add secure, segregated hot wallets and scheduled withdrawals for maximum flexibility.
  3. Crypto-first features
    Longer-term, we’re already thinking about how to securely enable our clients to participate in the crypto ecosystem through proof of stake and distributed governance. We look forward to partnering with our clients to bring these features to market.
As crypto continues its maturation as an asset class and more institutions enter the space, Coinbase is committed to delivering products and services that are tailored to their unique needs. Coinbase Custody delivers the trusted storage service that our clients need to fully immerse themselves in the potential that crypto assets provide. We look forward to delivering more offerings over the coming months.

CryptoTC

Crypto Fat Cat
Will institutional bitcoin buyers be required to disclose their positions and moves quarterly as they do with stocks, bonds and other assets? It would seem that making that info public would be critical to preventing and policing manipulation. Do the regulations apply to the companies and therefore all assets they buy or do the regulations come from the specific market SEC rules, meaning they could hide bitcoin until new regulations force disclosure?

I haven’t seen anything on that specific factor. Anyone else?

The CC Forums

Admin
Staff member
Will institutional bitcoin buyers be required to disclose their positions and moves quarterly as they do with stocks, bonds and other assets? It would seem that making that info public would be critical to preventing and policing manipulation. Do the regulations apply to the companies and therefore all assets they buy or do the regulations come from the specific market SEC rules, meaning they could hide bitcoin until new regulations force disclosure?

An interesting question for which I don’t have an answer. I’ll do some digging. Feel free to look into this as well and get back to this thread.

Old Man Crypto

Expert chainblocker

An interesting question for which I don’t have an answer. I’ll do some digging. Feel free to look into this as well and get back to this thread.

That is a good question. We are still waiting for your answer...

The CC Forums

Admin
Staff member

BitFit

Contributor
Coinbase hasn’t listed their first customers yet but they do mention Polychain Capital in one Bloomberg article.

Terms of Service Violation

—>Polychain Capital, which reported in February that it had more than $1 billion in assets, is one of the service’s first clients. “Coinbase is incredibly well positioned to store the next $100 billion of crypto assets," Olaf Carlson Wee, chief executive officer of the crypto hedge fund, said in a phone interview. The company has “a very, very long history of successful digital asset storage.”

Hopefully they’ll hit their goal of $10 billion by the end of the year. Seems very quiet after a lot of noise announcing all these institutions that want to get into bitcoin. I don’t know how to read this. Quiet because big investors don’t want price to go up too soon or quiet because there really isn’t as much interest as people thought?

BitFit

Contributor
Why does my copies link show as terms of service violation? It’s a link to an external article like others post here. The quote copies but the link doesn’t. Whose TOS did I violate? Weird.

The CC Forums

Admin
Staff member
Why does my copies link show as terms of service violation? It’s a link to an external article like others post here. The quote copies but the link doesn’t. Whose TOS did I violate? Weird.

Looks like it’s on Bloomberg’s end. They must be disallowing link-posting somehow.

You can rename the link and use the tool bar to add it. Coinbase Custody has first 10 customers.

The CC Forums

Admin
Staff member
An update from Coinbase blog. New assets under consideration.

Coinbase Custody is exploring a range of new assets

Coinbase Custody is exploring a range of new assets

These assets are only being considered by Custody at this time, and this announcement has no bearing on trading-based products.

1*BaQZ59n4mEDPd-NjCUjK7A.png

*assets are roughly ordered by market cap and type
Coinbase Custody is exploring the addition of many existing and forthcoming crypto assets for storage only, and will be working to add them as quickly and safely as possible. At this time, we have not yet considered these assets for trading. We are making this announcement internally at Coinbase and to the public at the same time to remain transparent with our customers about support for future assets.

Coinbase Custody is a custodial service for institutional clients optimized for storing large amounts of cryptocurrency in a highly secure way. As we’ve stated before, Coinbase Custody will likely support more assets than those available to trade through other Coinbase products.

Asset additions to Coinbase Custody have no bearing on whether they will be added to other Coinbase products. Asset additions for trading must pass our Digital Asset Framework.

As part of the exploratory process, customers may see public-facing APIs and other signs that we are conducting engineering work to support these assets. While we cannot commit to when or whether these assets will become available on Coinbase Custody, we will provide updates to our customers about the process and what they can expect via our Twitter account.

In addition to ERC20 tokens, here is the full list of assets that Coinbase Custody is exploring:

1*VaTC1Mk5Lx7tdYW-Nv5k7Q.png