Cryptocurrency Proves USD’s Status as Reserve Currency Is Fragile: $250 Billion Asset Manager

Habiba Aziz

Contributor
https://www.ccn.com/cryptocurrency-...urrency-is-fragile-250-billion-asset-manager/

Excerpt:

The CEO of Lazard, Kenneth M. Jacobs, said that the unilateral approach of the United States towards foreign policies and trades posses a threat to the sustenance of the US dollar as the premier global reserve currency. This is a status that the greenback has upheld since overthrowing the British pounds sterling in 1945.

For the purpose of international trades and transactions, central banks across the world hold in reserve certain selection currencies. This action, in accordance to the Bretton Woods accord of 1944 permits these national banks to issue their own local currencies to their citizens in the form of IOUs and repurchase them with such reserve currencies.

Pressure on the US Dollar

In 2017, the head of FX strategy at Saxo Bank, John Hardy identified three main geopolitical issues as sources of pressure on the US dollar that may affect its status as the world’s premier reserve currency. They include:

• The ongoing rise of China as it assumes a more prominent role in global trade and financial markets,
  • The North Korean regimes striving to maintain credibility and untouchability as a nuclear power and how this impacts China-U.S. relations, but also how Japan deals with this threat in terms of domestic as well as foreign policy,
  • The loosening of the U.S.-Europe transatlantic alliance and how Europe and the EU finds its feet as a more independent superpower — or not — in its own right after the German elections.

Last edited by a moderator:

Habiba Aziz

Contributor
Last Thursday on bloomberg Jacobs noted that the amount of technology that exists in the world today with cryptocurrency further complicates the matter against the sustaining the reserve currency status of the US dollar in the future.

He said:

“To the extent that we have unilateral foreign policy and unilateral trade policy, we’re sort of tempting the world to find an alternative. Probably the greatest demonstration of soft power is the fact that the U.S. has the reserve currency of the world.”

Jacobs however noted that this may not be a case for the immediate future, but a development that should be kept in sight and within the realms of conscious imagination.

Still, “there’s enough technology out in the world today with cryptocurrency and changes going on that you can imagine, if you let your mind wander a little bit, that something becomes an alternative in the future,” he said.

Peradventure this comes to pass, it will surely represent a major disruption in the global monetary system as well as an international power redefinition. Hence, it is imminent that more attention be given to emerging technologies and cryptocurrency.

Habiba Aziz

Contributor
I am confuse now, Should I add the referral website URL ? like If I am choosing a topic from CCN, should I mention the source URL? please guide. Thanks

The CC Forums

Admin
Staff member
I am confuse now, Should I add the referral website URL ? like If I am choosing a topic from CCN, should I mention the source URL? please guide. Thanks

Original content is typically covered by international copyright laws such that republishing material in its entirety on another site can be a violation of those laws.

Including the original link and also naming the source is best. Using only excerpts is best. Providing the info along with your own comments is great.

I appreciate the enthusiasm and participation.

Some general principles:

How To Use Content From Other Blogs Without Violating Copyright

https://vimm.com/links-republishing-articles-can-cant/

Some examples from our forums:

Apple Co-Founder Steve Wozniak Wants Bitcoin to be World's Single Currency

Coinbase dominance per Wash Post

Announcements like this from Coinbase can be copied entirely since they want the news to spread from the press release:

Coinbase rolls out institutional products

And if you’re the original author, you can post as much of the article as you like:

Global Blockchain Industry Overview and Prospects Report by Huobi Part 1

Old Man Crypto

Expert chainblocker
I’m not sure I buy the premise that the USD status is threatened, at least certainly not at this point.

Changes are coming, but the US currency will not fade away.

CryptoTC

Crypto Fat Cat
Agree with old man, the USD isn’t going away any time soon. But it could be augmented by a crypto such as bitcoin, or the US could decentralize the dollar. Highly doubt the latter possibility though.

I think crypto investors and communities underestimate the banking industry. They also tend to overplay its bad features while ignoring or downplaying some of the good in the current system.

Most likely hybrid solutions will take over.

Emma Lee

Contributor
Probably the greatest demonstration of soft power is the fact that the U.S. has the reserve currency of the world.

Emma Lee

Contributor
Over 100 blockchain companies have chosen to list their business with us in the last 48 hours
A Shopping Center in Slovenia Aims to Become a ‘Genuine Bitcoin City’