Failure of social media as primary crypto discussions

CryptoTC

Crypto Fat Cat
Ethereum Core Developer Quits Social Media Over 'Conflict of Interest' Attacks - CoinDesk

“he will “no longer respond on Gitter, Skype, Discord, Slack, Wire, Twitter and Reddit,” Schoedon said that for the foreseeable future he would no longer answer contribution requests or general technical questions directly from the public.

Having contributed to the ethereum codebase since September 2017, the comments have inspired responses from other developers who are outraged over the actions that led to his decision.

“I’m so angry and disappointed in the Ethereum community. You ran out one of our best contributors for the dumbest reasons. More people should have spoken up in support and there needs to be less vitriol,” stated community relations manager for the Ethereum Foundation Hudson Jameson on Twitter.”

I’ve maintained for a few years now that these disjointed communication formats are detrimental to thorough well thought out debates on complex topics like crypto and blockchain. One of the focuses if this site is to provide topic lists for lengthy thorough debates and discussions. I get that message board formats are declining in popularity, but they offer a number of advantages not found in a Twitter feed or Discord chat channel.

The CC Forums

Admin
Staff member
Ethereum Core Developer Quits Social Media Over 'Conflict of Interest' Attacks - CoinDesk

“he will “no longer respond on Gitter, Skype, Discord, Slack, Wire, Twitter and Reddit,” Schoedon said that for the foreseeable future he would no longer answer contribution requests or general technical questions directly from the public.

Having contributed to the ethereum codebase since September 2017, the comments have inspired responses from other developers who are outraged over the actions that led to his decision.

“I’m so angry and disappointed in the Ethereum community. You ran out one of our best contributors for the dumbest reasons. More people should have spoken up in support and there needs to be less vitriol,” stated community relations manager for the Ethereum Foundation Hudson Jameson on Twitter.”

I’ve maintained for a few years now that these disjointed communication formats are detrimental to thorough well thought out debates on complex topics like crypto and blockchain. One of the focuses if this site is to provide topic lists for lengthy thorough debates and discussions. I get that message board formats are declining in popularity, but they offer a number of advantages not found in a Twitter feed or Discord chat channel.

Of course you and I are biased, but chat apps and sites don’t serve well as archives for info on any topic. They’re conversations, not deep dives into debates and discussions.

Message boards still have useful features, including the ability to permanently look up answers to questions and dive deeper into topics. Can you imagine debating crypto capital gains taxes on Twitter and trying to convey the more complicated parts or the regulations in a tweet. Or in a Discord chat?

Sites like ours can cover a topic in 2000 words and then add more info via debate and Q&A sessions linked to the articles. So you and I are convinced, now we just need to convince several thousand more to get in here and have some talks.

We’re not Reddit. And as much as crypto hates this word, we’d like to try and earn some informational authority in the space. All you new and older members, give us a hand by sharing what you know.