Privacy coins

The CC Forums

Admin
Staff member
I knew about Monero and Dash, but some of the others were new to me. Good write up.

Thanks. Two of us contributed to that one. Harsh Bhutani laid the groundwork and did the background plus fact checking. I added the opinions and regulation relevance.

We took on that project because I peronally want to add privacy coins to my holdings. I think they will be the hottest sector in crypto for 2018. But after the article, I’m only convinced enough to buy Monero. Dash maybe but the Masternodes model and requirements to designate transactions as private concern me.

The others seem early in their cycles. We should watch for new privacy tech to pop up too and maybe update the topic mid-2018.

CryptoTC

Crypto Fat Cat
I currently don’t have a single privacy coin in my portfolio (really IRS and FBI readers)

I probably need to add some to my holdings (just kidding IRS and FBI readers). :p

Dash and Monero are the safe picks. I keep hearing Monero wallet complaints though. Is it easy to trade or store? I can store Zcash and Dash on the Trezor, so maybe I should give those a look.

Thanks for the article.

Old Man Crypto

Expert chainblocker
I just read it this morning. Thanks.

I’ll have to consider this arena too. More conservative here so might stick with the most developed ones.

Old Man Crypto

Expert chainblocker
I’m still holding off. The only way I could move into any of this would be to sell something else. I’m not feeling great about litecoin anymore.

Do you guys think selling litecoin to buy monero or Dash is a good idea? Or Zcash? I don’t know much about these privacy coins and the news about Zcash forking then not forking was confusing to me.

Old Man Crypto

Expert chainblocker
I still haven’t bought any of these. But they are declining with the rest of the markets. With most people still only interested in bitcoin and Ethereum, it may take longer for these to recover.

Agree or disagree? Thanks.

The CC Forums

Admin
Staff member
I still haven’t bought any of these. But they are declining with the rest of the markets. With most people still only interested in bitcoin and Ethereum, it may take longer for these to recover.

Agree or disagree? Thanks.

Well recent news from Poloniex closing out support for XMR and Japan pressuring crypto exchanges to drop support for privacy coins will probably hurt demand in the long term. If they are hard to get or use, they average “trader” won’t be involved.

OTOH, making them hard to get could increase prices, but then you’ll have to be able to sell or use them.

Monero is off its recent high by 20% while Dash has fared a little better, down approx 11% from mid April’s peak $540 to $480 early today.

More here from CCN:

https://www.ccn.com/japan-is-pressu...changes-to-de-list-anonymous-altcoins-report/

“Japan’s Financial Services Agency (FSA) is pressuring local cryptocurrency exchanges to de-list privacy-centric altcoins such as Monero, Zcash, and Dash.

Writing in Forbes, Tokyo-based journalist Jake Adelstein reports that sources close to the FSA say the regulatory agency — which has sole authority to grant licenses to cryptocurrency exchanges — is “taking all available steps” to pressure domestic trading platforms to drop support for altcoins that tout the ability for users to make anonymous transactions.

The FSA claims that these cryptocurrencies, which are generally much more difficult to track than Bitcoin (though in some cases still possible, due to user error and other factors), have become too closely linked with the criminal underworld.”

The CC Forums

Admin
Staff member
More bad news today in the form of another exchange delisting privacy coins.

Coincheck will no longer offer zCash, Monero, and Dash. If this keeps up, prices will certainly have downward pressure.

https://www.ccn.com/coincheck-to-delist-privacy-coins-monero-zcash-and-dash/

From CCN’s article:

“The Tokyo-based exchange <...> announced on Friday that it will no longer facilitate trading for these cryptocurrencies, which provide their users with the ability to make transactions that are less traceable than those made with bitcoin and most other blockchain-based coins.

Coincheck said that it came to the decision to cease support for these cryptocurrencies following a “drastic review” of its internal control system and as part of a new “management strategy that thoroughly protects customers.” It is “not appropriate,” the firm said, to deal with these currencies, as they present risks to the firm’s ability to maintain compliance with anti-money laundering (AML) regulations.”

This can’t be good.