Using Crypto Technology for Voting

pepeg

Contributor
Here's something quite fascinating: using the advantages of the crypto world to improve our democratic systems. By exploiting blockchain technology's attributes, voting and elections could become much more transparent and trusted.

Featured: Further Decentralizing Democracy with Blockchain for Voting - AllStocks Network

With a blockchain voting platform, there could be very little chance of fraud because everything would be open on the blockchain while still maintaining the anonymity of the voter. It's such a great idea and several countries have already started testing it!

The CC Forums

Admin
Staff member
Here's something quite fascinating: using the advantages of the crypto world to improve our democratic systems. By exploiting blockchain technology's attributes, voting and elections could become much more transparent and trusted.

Featured: Further Decentralizing Democracy with Blockchain for Voting | AllStocks Network

With a blockchain voting platform, there could be very little chance of fraud because everything would be open on the blockchain while still maintaining the anonymity of the voter. It's such a great idea and several countries have already started testing it!

I happen to reside in the state noted for being the first to use blockchain tech for voting. By all local media accounts, it went very well. Here’s the relevant part from your blog post:

Examples of Blockchain for Voting

In the 2018 US midterm elections, a blockchain-based mobile voting platform was available to use by a a select group of voters in West Virginia. The system was created by Voatz and:

“Uses biometric authentication to identify individual users before allowing them to mark an electronic ballot, and the votes are then recorded in a private blockchain.”

Mike Queen, communications director for West Virginia Secretary of State Mac Warner, said:

“[The office of the Secretary believes] blockchain does provide a heightened level of security on this type of mobile voting app. We’re genuinely hoping that will allow this type of a mobile app to be made available in the future – as early perhaps as our general election – to military voters.”

I agree there’s a lot of positives to this. From ID confirmation to creating tamper proof elections, blockchain has a good chance of making an early impact in voting systems.

Vla

Contributor
It is a great idea, but I'm not sure that it will be implemented at a high level. Transparency is not about government and authorities

Litvi_Me

Contributor
Well, a blockchain voting system seems trustworthy to me. But I'm sure some people will still say that elections will never be fair, just because they don't trust the politicians and the government

CryptoTC

Crypto Fat Cat
Well, a blockchain voting system seems trustworthy to me. But I'm sure some people will still say that elections will never be fair, just because they don't trust the politicians and the government

That’s where the blockchain helps. The election becomes transparent and verifiable. Tamper-proof. Unmodifiable. Permanent and immutable.

So we don’t have to worry about the politicians and fairness. Blockchain guarantees it.

Litvi_Me

Contributor
That’s where the blockchain helps. The election becomes transparent and verifiable. Tamper-proof. Unmodifiable. Permanent and immutable.

So we don’t have to worry about the politicians and fairness. Blockchain guarantees it.

I absolutely agree with you. But I mean that no matter how reliable the system will be, there will be people who will blame politicians for unfair elections (just because citizens don't like or don't trust these politicians)

NorthenLights

Contributor
You can't argue with the technology algorithm and it does not matter anyway - the only thing that matters is fair elections after all and not the rumors

Vla

Contributor
I absolutely agree with you. But I mean that no matter how reliable the system will be, there will be people who will blame politicians for unfair elections (just because citizens don't like or don't trust these politicians)

You might be right, but still, there will be less cheating with such a technology