Danger of Cryptocurrency Airdrop.

hasyu

Contributor
Cryptocurrency Airdrop are the best thing in cryptocurrency world. This is the part where all sorts of cryptocurrency scammers appear. You can rightfully ask 'how can there be a scam in Cryptocurrency that it is free?'. You should be aware of warning signs on blockchain & Cryptocurrency projects such as poorly written white papers, no real-world use case, or no real team. There is no point wasting your time participating in these kinds of airdrops. Scammers can also be targeting your personal information. In some cases, in order to participate in the airdrop, you will need to pass KYC. Scammers can steal your personal information and make you a target for their future scams.

Safety Tips how to Participate in the Crypto Airdrop
I have been into airdrops for some months now, and I can tell you immediately that there are a lot of scams out there. Here is the list of safety tips that I have picked up on the way:

Never Pay for the Airdrop
If somebody is asking you for money in order to participate in the airdrop walk away immediately. You will never see any free coins, but you will probably lose your money.

Never Share your Private Key
First rule in the crypto world. Never share your private key also applies here.

Create a Dedicated Email Address Only for Airdrops

Create a new email address that you will use only for airdrops. Best practice will be to have alias emails for each registration. This is possible if you have your own domain. Then you can forward all the aliases to your real email. But simply creating a new email that you will use only for the airdrops should be just fine.

Never use the Same Password
This should be common practice when you are registering for the various websites, and I strongly advise you to follow this rule when you are registering for airdrop projects.

If you are even a Bit Suspicious of the Project do not do KYC
Basically, I’m avoiding all airdrops that require passing on KYC information, if I do not intend to participate in the ICO. The risk of sharing my personal information with a not yet established project is too high. But if the value of the airdrop is just too big to pass, do your own research before sharing your personal information.

Create a New Etehreum Address
My practice is to create a new Ethereum address that I’m using only for participating in airdrops. They cannot do anything with your primary address (if you even have one), but I’m not comfortable with all these projects knowing my balance or past transactions. That also can make you a future target for the scams.

Where to Find Airdrop and what to do with Tokens/Coins?
Here you can find a list of crypto airdrops. The list is regularly updated and sortable. Usually, tokens are dropped a couple of months after airdrop applying, and usually when the ICO is over. Then you will need to wait until the token is listed on crypto exchanges in order to token to get the real value. Then you can trade it for one of the major cryptocurrencies.
#cryptalks.org